Soil Conservation Districts were established April 7, 1941 under State law, initially created to assist the farming community in saving valuable topsoil.
In the 1960's, sediment was determined to be a major pollutant. The State passed the statewide sediment control law in 1970. This law was to minimize the effects of sediment pollution from development sites.
Soil conservation districts expanded their traditional programs to include urban lands. The same soil conservation practices used on agricultural properties are adapted and used on urban properties.
Districts operate under State law and regulations.
By law, each Board of Supervisors is responsible for carrying out
a soil and water conservation program within the boundaries of the
The mission of the Prince George's Soil Conservation District is to protect and promote the health, safety and general welfare of the citizens of the State and County, and otherwise enhance their living environment, by conserving soil, water, and related resources and by controlling and preventing soil erosion in order to preserve natural resources, control floods, prevent impairment of dams and reservoirs, assist in maintaining the navigability of rivers and harbors, preserve wildlife, protect the tax base and protect the public lands.
The Soil Conservation District provides grading and sediment control, agricultural landowner assistance and rural preservation services to the citizens and residents of the County in order to protect the County's soil and water resources.
District supervisors James Edelen, Pete Parreco, Cal Steuart-Chairman, and Raymond Watson accept the Maryland Association of Soil Conservation District’s prestigious MidAtlantic Farm Credit Outstanding District Award for 2012 presented by Bruce Yerkes. Click here for full story.